Breakfast is an important meal of the day. For many of us, we either skip this meal or we choose to eat foods that are dry, (breakfast bars), light (dry cereal), or cold (cold milk with cereal). All in which can increase Vata qualities.
It is essential to begin your day with a warm meal that is nourishing, grounding, and will keep you going steadily without feeling heavy.
If you suffer from digestive disturbances when consuming grains - soaking them overnight in an acidic medium such as yogurt, lemon, whey, or apple cider vinegar can help to break down the anti nutrients in grains and allow for better digestion and absorption.
Serves: 2 Preparation time: 15 minutes
1 tbsp ghee
1 cup rolled organic oats (not quick oats)
2 cup filtered water
2 tbsp acidic medium (yogurt, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, buttermilk)
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cardamom
pinch of cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
The Night Before:
1) Mix well your oats, 1 cup of water and the acidic medium in a bowl. Cover and sit overnight on the counter (7-8 hours).
1) Add an additional cup of filtered water and salt and stir well.*
2) In a medium saucepan melt the ghee.
3) Then add the oats mixture, cardamom, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Bring to a low simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
Add doshically appropriate Toppings:
sunflower seeds, almonds
honey or maple syrup
* nutmeg and cinnamon are increasing for Pitta.
* if you feel the oatmeal is to sour, you can rinse the oat mixture before adding the additional cup of water.